Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Motherhood, Amazing Motherhood

Motherhood is an amazing thing. It has changed who I am as a person. I have found myself saying things I never thought I would say: "Homeschooling is really not a bad option." "What is the point of dating until you are of the age to get married? I want to learn more about this courting concept." "I need to get to bed earlier." "We could go out tonight, or we could stay home and rest."

Motherhood has made me view life and love with new enlightenment. I never really realized how much my mother loves me until I had Carter. It is a love that is unexplainable. It is a love that makes me want to be a better person because I know I am shepherding the life and heart of another soul.

Motherhood challenges me. I have learned a new level of patience since Carter has entered my life. Don't get me wrong, my little man is about as close to perfect as they come, if I do say so myself. Still, there is something about having a one and a half year old screaming bloody murder through Target, while everyone stares a me, that challenges my patience. I have also learned what it really means to put someone else's needs above my own. I have be challenged in my walk with God. I want to be an example to my children of what it means to follow God with all my heart.

Motherhood has made me a better person. I love being a mother with all my heart. I can't wait to have a house full of little ones. As much as I am suppose to be teaching Carter, he is teaching me.

Motherhood is a gift from God. It doesn't matter how God decided to enrich your family with children: pregnancy, adoption, foster parenting. God brings children into our lives in many ways and each one is a little blessing. Mothering a child is the greatest, toughest, most fun, hardest, most rewarding, least appreciated, most enriching, most blessed job that a woman can have.

Each one is also a little mission field. A girl in my Bible Study Fellowship small group made a comment the other day that I really liked. She said that even though we still should be reaching out to people in our community, as mothers of young children, we need to remember that we have a house full of little non-believers that we need to lead to Christ as well. I just thought this was encouraging and a challenge all at the same time. God has called all mothers to the mission field of motherhood. Will you take the call? Will you say, "Here I am, Lord, choose me? Will you remember that above all else (good behavior, being respected, being nice and polite, having good manners, having good grades, not screaming in Target) your little ones at home need Jesus?

Just when you begin to think that this is a season in your life where you can't serve because you have little ones at home, remember that is your mission field and the harvest is plentiful!!


No comments:

Post a Comment