Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What Do They See?

What kind of Jesus do people see when they look at you?

We have lived in Memphis for over a year now, and it has been life changing/heart changing for me!

A few years ago I would have jumped on the bandwagon and been all about showing up for a Chick-fil-a appreciation day.  Now, all I can think about is what kind of message is the religious community sending to the LGBT community?

When we claim that we are Jesus followers, we are stepping into the role of representing Jesus to all we know and see.  Are we showing them the Jesus of John 8, that forgives and shows kindness and love to the woman committing adultery? Are we showing people the Jesus of Matthew 4 that call His disciples, which were not the religious men of the day by far?  Are we showing Luke 23, that shows forgiveness and grace to the thief on the cross?

It breaks my heart to think what it must have felt like for anybody in the LGBT community to drive by and see the line at Chick-fil-a today.  It breaks my heart because to them, I am sure, it was not a line supporting freedom of speech.  It was a line that represented hatred towards them.  I am sure this is not true of all the people that supported Chick-fil-a today, but ask yourself, "Were you really there to support Cathy's freedom of speech, or were you there to show how much to disagree with homosexuality?"  If your answer is the latter, then look to the Bible and ask yourself who you look more like, Jesus or the Pharisees?

As, Jesus followers, we need to love people the way He did and does.  He never accepted sin but He also never showed such hatred toward people.

3 comments:

  1. My views on these type matters has changes in recent years as well, ad I couldn't agree more with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful! I support Chick-fil-A for the Christian company they are!! I think its great a company stands on the Bible and is willing to put their business on the line knowing some aren't accepting in that. I didn't go today just because of the hectic chaos I knew it would be. I believe we should spread the word through this and I think what the founder said has been taken totally out of context!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa,
    I totally agree that what the founder said was taken out of context. I agree with all you said. I also firmly believe that there were a lot of people that supported chick-fil-a for all the right reasons. I have just been seeing so much talk on social media from the christian side of this that is not loving and so many people that are using this chick-fil-a situation to throw another "punch" to the LGBT community. We live in an area were there are people in this community and want them to know Christ. They already feel hated by Christians and by God. I just want people to be aware. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete